During the past two weeks I've waffled back and forth on whether or not to continue to posting daily. Half the time I think it's a great idea, and the other half I'm checking the calendar to see how many more days of this bedtime-extending hell I have left.
Some pros and cons for the writing every day thing:
- I will undoubtedly become a better writer. That was Derek's motivation, which inspired me as well.
- It will probably increase readership. One post a day is a very easy reading commitment, and hard to forget because it becomes part of your daily habit.
- It's remarkable. There are very few personal blogs that are updated every single day.
- Even if there are more posts that you, as a reader, don't care about, there are probably also more that you DO care about.
- It's a burden. I tend to put it off until night and then stay up an extra hour writing.
- It gets in the way of other projects. Sometimes I want to work on other projects (I'm being vague on purpose), but I have to interrupt my rhythm to write.
- Some of the posts aren't up to par. It kills me to post things that I'm not proud of, and this is almost always a result of feeling obligated to post something.
- I'm spending an increasing amount of time on a project that makes no money. That doesn't mean that it's not worth doing, but since my income is pretty minimal these days, I need to be focusing time on things that make money.
You've lived through the two weeks of daily posts. Did you read them all? Did you prefer them over the 3-4 that I would have posted otherwise? Do you hope I continue to post daily? Even if you don't normally comment, please take a sec to chime in.
Subscribe to Tynan
Get new posts sent to you. If you change your mind later, unsubscribe with one click.
You're a member of this community! Use the buttons on the right to vote on ths post or share it with others. Or leave a reply below.