hide

Read Next

The (near) Future of Tynan

If you're wondering why I always put my name in the topics of these things, it's not because I have a huge ego. I do have a huge ego, but I do it so that my name gets better search rankings in google. My goal is for people to be able to search for "Tynan" and for my site to be number one. Soon. If you want to help, like the almighty Magnus, you can link to my blog and put my name in the link.

Today Doug, Steve, Steve's (ex?) girlfriend, Todd and I headed down to Canyon Lake, TX to do some tubing. You see, I bought the sweetest tube ever to bring to the lake. The thing actually flies 15 feet in the air behind the boat. I think I wrote about it before, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the first time we tried I skipped along the water, but didn't really take flight because my weak human lungs couldn't inflate the tube enough.

Today before going to the lake I bought two different pumps to ensure that the thing would actually inflate. As it turned out, the boat rental place had a sweet air compressor, negating the need for our own pumps. Oh well... you owe me one (two?), Wal Mart. Our rental boat was a shoddy looking boat most certainly manufactured before 1990 which was apparently very fast. The interior was a coccoon of brightly colored vinyl couches covered by a weathered bimini top. I climbed aboard and with the help of Todd, tied the monsterous tube to the boat.

I wrote a children's poetry book (how to)

On Mike Dariano

I like to use the parenthesis in my post title because whenever I'm considering clicking through on a link from Twitter or Facebook I like to know if I'm getting an article, chart, photo, video or whatever. This is hardly a 'how to' but more of a summary of my experiences.

I don't remember the exact book one of our girls had selected from the library but it was really bad. The rhyming wasn't very good and the plot was worse and I remember thinking that I could do better. Fast forward to today and I think I did but it was a lot harder than I realized.

Staying home with two kids doesn't allow me the time to do things alone and as any stay at home parent will tell you, there is an endless amount of cleaning, cooking, eating, driving, calling, and volunteering that always is at hand, so finding the time to write a book of children's poems wasn't simple. I ended up getting up about two hours earlier than the kids for about the first third of the year and working on the book. Some days I would get twelve or fifteen poems written and other days only one or two. Other days I would proofread those twelve or fifteen and realize only one of the bunch was any good and that one morning wasn't as productive as it seemed.

After getting 85% of the poems in a relatively (more proofing was needed but overall I like their structure) finished position I began the illustrating. I wanted to use simple and clean lines so that the illustrations looked more like an outline rather than a polished product. After a month of working the mornings and getting about one-third of the illustrations done I uploaded my file to the CreateSpace website ready for their glowing praises, or at least an approval. What I got instead was a message saying that my 115DPI illustrations needed to be at least 300DPI for an 8" by 10" book. I was so bummed.

The poems were a lot easier to write than the illustrations to draw and some of them had turned out at least slightly complementary to what I had written. I looked online to see what freelance artists would cost and cost for the illustrations would have trumped the book profits by a factor of ten. More importantly though, they also wouldn't have been mine. My first goal was to give something to my daughters I could say was made for them and if I hired someone to illustrate it I could have hired someone to write it as well.

Rendering New Theme...