In my opinion there is nothing more religious than having good health. I'm sick and tired of meeting so called, "religious people", that use Christianity as a crutch to defend their laziness.
Using religion as an alternative to exercise is a cope out, and it's a bullshit excuse. You need to workout consistently and take your health seriously for your entire life.
Almost half the bible talks about health and disease. There are numerous stories about lepers, disease, blind people, and infant mortality. The world didn't always have modern medicine and hospitals like we do today, and even in the year 1900 the life expectancy in the United States was only 50.
Religious people often tell me, "when I die, it will be god's will".
If you die from controllable diseases like diabetes or heart disease, it was nobody's fault except YOURSELF.
God gave you free will, but most importantly, didn't god give you a brain?
Weren't you blessed with knowledge, reason, and the ability to control your own behavior?
Humans are intelligent animals. We have developed medicine and hospitals. We created surgeons, dentists and artificial limbs.
- If you know that you are in self-inflicted bad physical condition, why aren't you doing anything about it?
- Are you relying on a pill to lower your blood pressure every day to prevent a premature heart attack?
- If you were to die early, would you leave behind a widow and/or orphaned children?
I think that Jesus would have appreciated bodybuilding. Maybe not the tanning and oil necessarily, but definitely the health part of it.
Health was such a large part of Christinanity, that it was listed as one of the original sins:
Are you not gluttonous?
- If you ate less food would you have more money to give to charity?
- Are you a burden to society and/or your family?
- Can you contribute to society to the best of your ability both physical and mentally?
Jesus was reported to be an very active person. He was a carpenter by trade, and he apparently walked for miles preaching the good word.
I want everyone to live as long as possible, and let the doctors and hospitals focus on people with real illnesses. Work out, lose weight, stay off Medicaid, and become a productive member of society.
P.S.: I do believe in a higher power, I just think "organized" religion is silly :)